Komandoo Island
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Komandoo Island

Unofficial forum for discussion of Komandoo Island Resort

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

A few questions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
pixie

A few questions Empty
PostSubject: A few questions   A few questions I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 11:38 pm

Hi, I have a few questions hopefully somone will be able to answer:-

Is the deck lit at night so I can watch the fish?

On some photos it looks like the reastaurant sits over the water but on some it looks set back on the beach?

What are the currents like and where are the best places to snorkel?

I am sure there will be many more but unfortunately have to go to work now Sad

Thanks for any replies
Back to top Go down
Happydays

A few questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions   A few questions I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 1:26 pm

Hi pixie my wife & I were in Komandoo in early march 2011 so I hope I can answer your questions . The deck on which the main restaurant sits has floodlights pointing into the sea at the edge of the deck so you can clearly see the fish from your table . The main restaurant sits just on the waters edge so depending on the tide the sea is sometimes lapping just underneath the decking . However the Aqua restaurant is set further out along the jetty & is surrounded by the sea at all times . There are currents at differing times of the day but you can find all the info on these posted outside the dive centre & in my opinion you can only get washed into the lee side of the island where they then subside so just find out which direction they flow in enter the sea at that point & just go with it no problem . The general opinion on the best place to snorkel is on the east side were you can enter at a channel in front of the dive centre and exit at a channel just before the water bungalows or visa versa depending on the current direction . I have snorkeled the entire circumference of the island & must admit this is the best area . There are also snorkeling excursions arranged from the dive centre that go out on the boats . We had the most fabulous time on Komandoo as I am sure you will, I hope this reply has answered your queries.
Back to top Go down
pixie

A few questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions   A few questions I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 12:56 am

Hi Happydays,

Thanks for all the info, very helpful. Cannot wait to get in that blue blue sea!!

What did you stay in? And do you know whats going on with the pier? Have they started to fix it?

Is it assigned seating in the restaurant - one island we went to you could sit where you liked but on another you were assigned a table and that was yours for the duration.

Thanks again
Pixie
Back to top Go down
Happydays

A few questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions   A few questions I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 1:26 pm

Hello again pixie , we were initially allocated turtle 8 on the west side off the island ( sunset side ) which we had no problem with at all, the extension work on the inhabited island which is just about visible did not spoil the view & there was no noise. We did ask for a move to the other side of the island purely because we thought it to have a more refreshing breeze this side & to be closer to the dive centre & were moved after 6 days into starfish 3, both rooms were fabulous . The pier had only been damaged 1 week before we arrived & on our 2nd week they had started to dismantle it .
The policy in the restaurant is that you are assigned a waiter for the duration of your stay but you can sit where you like but if you like a particular table you might need to get in the restaurant early doors . Any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
Back to top Go down
pixie

A few questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions   A few questions I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 12:50 am

Thanks again Happydays,

Good news about the pier it will most likely be finished by the time we get there.

[quote]Any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

You may regret that lol

Do you know if the deck of the wv's are lit at night and if i take my own thermal cup can i take drinks back to my room? Or do you know how much it is to upgrade to gold all in when we arrive at island?

Thanks again
Pixie
Back to top Go down
Happydays

A few questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions   A few questions I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 2:44 am

Good morning pixie, can't help on lighting issue on wv deck but the decked walkway out to the wv's is illuminated at night so my guess is that the individual wv's are also lit .If you go on to trip advisor you can trawl through other guest's photo's (there are quite a lot) you may find one of the wv's at night . The management discourage guest's taking drinks away from the restaurant & bar areas but i'm guessing its more of a glass's discarded all over the island issue than any thing else .
there is a beach bar at the wv's end of the island but this shuts in the evening when the sun goes down .
As regards the gold AI upgrade depends on which package you have already booked if its B&B then the supplements at resort are as follows :-
Dinner 30 USD per person per night
Lunch& dinner 50 USD
Basic AI 70 USD
Gold AI 110 USD
These are the prices that we were quoted in march 2011 but if you are going this route suggest you contact island direct prior to your arrival.
Back to top Go down
JanG

JanG

A few questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions   A few questions I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2011 6:33 am

Hi Pixie,

Hope you don’t mind me jumping in here – just wanted to let you know that there is a spotlight under the decking of each of the water villas which shines outwards and lights up an area about 2 metres square - not huge but enough to see what's going on. We stayed in a jwv for our first visit in October 2009 and it’s amazing what you can see in the water when it’s dark. If you get up early in the morning you've got a good chance of seeing eagle rays coming in under the villas and we had a parrot fish who visited every day (there are lots of parrot fish but this one seemed to like us!). Roundabout twilight keep an eye out for the pod of dolphins coming past the villas through the channel between the villas and the inhabited island.

Re the taking drinks to your villa question – it’s not allowed to take drinks from the bar (either of them) – you do have the option of using the mini bar in the villa though. We go Gold AI and find the extra spend to be well worth the money not only in terms of comparable expenditure but also from the point of view that it’s just so much more convenient not to have to count what we’re spending. We upgraded first time when we got to the island as it was a better price, you can either do it when you get there as you’re checking in (so that they can issue the vouchers etc) or email them for a form which you will need to complete and send back to them if you want to do it in advance. Second time we booked the Gold AI option via the agent as it worked out the same price as doing it direct with the island anyway and we’ve done the same for this year.

The beach bar at the jwv end of the island opens at 3pm each day and as Happydays says closes when the sun goes down – it’s a very nice place for a cold G&T watching the sunset!

Hope some of this helps, let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll try to answer best I can Very Happy

Have a fab holiday!
Jan
Back to top Go down
pixie

A few questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions   A few questions I_icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2011 11:37 pm

Thanks to both happydays and janG for your help - for now all my questions have been answered. Really pleased about the deck light!! Got a quote from dream ticket to say it would be £600 to upgrade to AI gold is that about right?

Jan G what number villa do you recommend - really dont want to get up and see inhabited island

and when are you going again?

I'm sure I will be back with more questions Question Question

Getting really excited its all i think about - I even counted my getups for work - I now have only 38 working days left bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
JanG

JanG

A few questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions   A few questions I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi Pixie,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you... It's hard to say whether the £600 from Dreamticket is right without knowing what board you'd booked originally and for how long but they were quoting along the same lines as Destinology (and the island) when we booked this year so I'd think it's probably about right. To give you an idea we upgraded from standard AI to Gold AI for a fortnight the first time and it was about £600 for both of us (ie not each), hope that helps.

Re the best wv, there are 15 water villas, starting from number 1 on the side closest to the inhabited island (which is called Hinnavaru and where some of the staff have their families living). To be honest I think the bad feedback is way over the top - it's really not on your doorstep and you don't hear much at all (we were in Eagle Ray 4), pretty much only the call to prayers which I found quite nice - just a reminder that the rest of the world was getting on with their lives while I put mine on hold for a while. Anyhow, if you opt for #1 you'll be closest to it and on the sunset side - so if you really want to avoid it the closer to #15 (and on the sunrise side) you are the further you will be from the island. Hope that makes sense!

One thing I did think I should mention is that when you go into the water from the water villa there is a lot of broken coral around so it would be a good idea to take reef shoes (or aqua shoes) as it's brutal on your tootsies!

We're not going back until mid-October so we have a while to wait yet - but I know what you mean about counting get-ups for work, I'm counting sleeps! This will be our third visit and I'm still excited about going, it's a truly beautiful place and you're going to love it.

Let me know if you've thought of any more questions and I promise not to take so long to reply next time!

All best,
Jan

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A few questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: A few questions   A few questions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A few questions
Page 1 of 1